|All articles by date|
|Best of Hair Talk|
|Braids & Dreadlocks|
|Curly Hairstyles & FAQ's|
|Hair Care & Recipes|
|Hair Jewelry & Accessories|
|Hair Link of the Week|
|Long Hair Info & Styles|
|Men's Hair Info|
|Short Hair Styles|
|Revised Date: 01/08/11
It's the stuff some humans live for...winning the lottery, looking sizzling hot (and wildly successful) at their high school reunion, getting a great job.....or having their wildest dreams come true.
Nikki Blonsky is one of those people that not only has that high school reunion goals nailed, she recently watched all her long held dreams for an acting career fulfilled in spades.
A wall at Great Neck Village High School (where Nikki went to school) brims with pics and clips lauding the recent alum. In fact, Nikki won the part of Carmen in the end-of-year musical at the school. Nikki told the media "it was the biggest role I ever had, and I was so excited and so nervous".
But wait, that was just the first act for the 18 year old.
Beating out literally hundreds of hopefuls, newcomer Nikki won the role of the voluptuous dancing teenager heroine, Tracy Turnblad, in the cult musical, Hairspray, which is scheduled to be released as movie on July 20th.
Tracy Turnblad fights weight and race discrimination by entering a local TV dance party. The Tony Award-winning Broadway musical, which was inspired by John Waters' 1988 campy film has now been redone for the big screen.
Overnight Nikki was transformed from a teen working at an ice cream store to having a lead role playing against a stellar cast of A players including John Travolta, Michelle Pfeiffer, Queen Latifah Christopher Walken and Amanda Bynes.
The mega talented teen is following in the footsteps of Ricki Lake who played Tracy Turnblad many years ago. Nikki and Ricki have become fast friends with Nikki using Ricki's performance as her inspiration.
New Hair Pressures
The 4' 10" brunette Nikki actually had to work hard to maintain a consistent weight for the part of the curvy Tracy. In a scenario where art imitates true life, Nikki has confessed to being taunted for her chubby profile throughout her life.
However, the actress, who has been singing since age 3 and working with a vocal coach since age 8 believed "you have to live your life for yourself and create your own happiness at the end of the day."
Now that she has soared to the top as Hollywood's new acting sensation, the pressure has begun for Nikki to lose weight, change her hair and become a bona fide Hollywood glam girl. Nikki is not planning on listening to the Hollywood people that want her to dye her hair or go on a diet. She has proclaimed "this is me, this is what you get".
Nikki's Face Shape & Hair Type
Nikki most often wears her shoulder length strands brushed off her vibrant face which shows off her prominent chin, well defined cheekbones and wider forehead. Nikki's face widens from the chin up to her forehead which indicates the has a heart shaped face.
Her light chocolate brown hair appears to be slightly lighter on the top layers and gradually morphs to a dark chocolate underneath and on the ends. Nikki's hair appears to have a natural bend or texture is most likely medium in texture.
For her appearance at the recent Hairspray Movie Premiere Nikki wore her tresses in romantic tumbling waves that were probably created with the help of clip-in (human or synthetic) hair extensions. Wildly popular, clip-ins allow anyone to alter their look from day to night in a matter of minutes.
The fabulous new Hollywood "It Girl" who happily posed on the Red Carpet with her movie best friend, Amanda Bynes, wore a sizzling metallic bronze gown which added a beautiful glow to Nikki's skin tone.
How To Steal Nikki's Look
Fresh, flirty and fun is a great way to describe Nikki Blonsky's Red Carpet hairstyles.
Whether she wears her hair sleek along the crown with cascading curls and waves along the perimeter or she goes for instant waist length waves with clip-in hair extensions, Nikki has a fabulous hair IQ.
To steal Nikki's Red Carpet Hairstyle complete the following tips:
1. Start by selecting a shampoo with a color safe formula to preserve any gorgeous light highlights or hues like Nikki's current soft chocolate brown highlighted shades.
Otherwise, select a shampoo that works with your current texture, type and condition of hair.
Shampoo product to try: Rene Furterer Okara Repairing Shampoo. The Rene Furterer Okara line has been especially created for chemically treated hair (perms, colors, straightening). The Okara Extract (soy protein) restructures and tonifies the most damaged hair for a long lasting color or vigorous curls.
Other shampoo products to try: Phyto Colored Hair System, René Furterer Fiorvanti Anti-Frizz Silkening Shampoo, J.F. Lazartigue Micro Pearl Shampoo for Dry hair.
2 Apply a rinse out conditioner that works for your hair's normal texture, type and condition. Consider trying a color co-ordinated mask to intensify your existing color.
Conditioning products to try: Renè Furterer Okara Restructuring and Protective Radiance Mask , René Furterer Fioravanti Anti Frizz Silkening Conditioner.
3. Finish with a cool/cold rinse to close the cuticle and help add natural shine. This helps to minimize frizz.
4. Towel blot (never rub or rough dry) to remove excess water.5. Coat damp strands with a customized styling product cocktail containing styling tools such as a defrisant, volume building mousse, gel or other styling products that work best with your hair texture and type.
Anti Frizz products to try:
Apply a dab of the Fioravanti Gel defrisant into the palms of your hands and massage well. Apply to the hair concentrating the mixture on the areas that tends to be most unmanageable or attract frizz. Be sure that lengths and ends are well saturated.
Additional Styling products to try:
6. Blow dry using a large round boar's bristle brush (try a Conair Round Brush) for strong, lasting support. Direct the air flow down from the roots towards the end to build in shine and smooth strands.
7. Use fingers to lightly scrunch near the roots for desired volume and lift.
8. Use round brush to lightly roll the ends of the hair under.
9. Finish blow drying with blast of cold air, if possible, which helps to set the style.
10. When hair is 100% dry separate hair into individual 1 1/2" - 2" sections and set on medium sized hot rollers, or curl with a medium sized curling iron to add movement to the strands.
11. If curling with a curling iron, after working with each section, roll the newly formed curl with your fingers up towards your scalp and pin into place to allow the curl to cool completely. Work around the entire head until all sections have been curled and pinned to the scalp. Spritz lightly with a soft hold hairspray.
When curling with hot rollers, let the curlers completely cool before removing. Once all the rollers have been released, let new curls dangle free before styling. Spritz lightly with a soft hold hairspray.
12. Use a tail comb or brush to create any desired part.
13. Use your fingers and/or a boar's head brush to lightly break up the curls and arrange into a soft finished halo of bouncy waves that terminate into a slight curl at the tips.
14. If desired use a small barrel curling iron to touch up the curls on the ends. Let the curls cool and then tousle lightly with fingers.
15. Apply a small drop of shine serum and lightly brush over the top of the finished style. If you prefer, use a shine spray product and spray into the palms of your hands and then glide over finished style.
Shine Serum Products To Try:
René Furterer Spray Gloss which creates a soft mirror like
shimmer when sprayed over hair. It also helps enhance hair's
16. Instantly extend the length of the style by clipping in a 23" wavy synthetic hair extension. For additional product details visit: http://mp.hairboutique.com/hairdo_23_clip_wavy.asp
If desired, finish the look with a long lasting hairspray for a silky shine effect.
Hairspray to try:
René Furterer Mini Lacque Hairspray - Great hairspray that tucks neatly into any handbag or perfect for travel.
Geena Davis and Jennifer Love Hewitt love Robert Hallowell Prawduct - rawhold hairspray - 8.5 oz (250 ml).
Other Styling Options
Nikki has recently appeared in public with her hair brushed off her face and accented by a thick braid worn as a faux headband. She also has changed up her hairstyle by wearing soft waves which nestle into her cheekbones along the side of her face.
Nikki's basic long wavy style can also be changed up by wearing her hair straightened, in a half up/half down style or worn up in a sassy wavy pony or soft twisted bun.
Either blow dry straight with a round or paddle brush or let tresses air-dry naturally. If you prefer, add extra dabs of gel and scrunch to create loose waves.
If you have natural waves or curls, you may wish to enhance your texture by air drying with your hair Plopped or Wet Bunned.
Note: If you hair is naturally curly avoid touching damp hair with fingers as much as possible. Consider partnering a great gel with a long finger diffuser for well defined curls.
Expect to see Nikki Blonsky's career continuing to skyrocket. Not only does Nikki have tremendous talent, she has already set her acting career on fire with her fabulous co-starring role in Hairspray.
Will success spoil the sweet Nikki Blonsky? Certainly not anytime soon. Nikki still lives at home with her parents and siblings while her only splurge with her Hairspray earrings was a new bed.
Social Media Network Information
Please follow me on Twitter at:
http://Twitter.com/HairBoutique. I look forward to
Thank you for visiting us at The HairBoutique Blog and for leaving your comments. They are very much appreciated. We apologize in advance but must remove any direct advertisements or solicitations.
Original Publication Date: 06/29/07 - Revised: 01/08/11
For additional hair care articles, tips and product information check out the following links: